9.2.14

08.02.2014

FOR WHOM DOES THE BELL TOLL?

Germany is a country that is known for its punctuality. The church bells here are punctual here. At 12 noon in the tower of the Freiburg Minster – known as the Cathedral of Our Lady – the bells go, but for whom exactly I was unsure. Not that it really mattered who got the honour of bells tolling for them, because up there in the tower watching them swing slowly and sound loudly was fantastic.

There is over 24,000 kilograms of bell up there, and the earliest dates from 1258; this bell still rings, too.

The steps up the tower were plentiful, and not very wide. Dread appeared in the eyes of everyone as it was realised an overtaking or a passing move had to be made. Double chins appeared as people pushed themselves into the walls, pushing their palms into any stable surface for stability.

But towers don’t just have a ton of good sounding metal, they also have a pretty impressive view, whose essence was not able to be captured by my amateur camera ability:

IMG_0051

The highest point of the tour is 116 metres up, and miraculously survived the World War II bombings, while most of the houses around it didn’t.

 

STATIONERY EXISTENCE

I finally got into a German stationery shop today. Three levels of bliss. The pretext was, of course, to buy some folders for school, but then there were typewriter ribbons and other paraphernalia to peruse, inks to look at, myriad papers to run a finger over. It was fantastic. And cheap! No export mark up suffered in Australia. I’ll be making a visit to this shop or one like it before I go, to stock up on supplies.

 

ACHTUNG!

I have received feedback to suggest that some readers thought I wrote two much about light switches in a previous post. I simply believe not enough is written about light switches. Perhaps a national identity is even caught up with the type of light switch employed by them. How much can one ascertain about a person from the the light switches they have in their house? What can you tell about a business from their light switches? You can calculate wealth and whether they are modern or old fashioned. The light switch is the world’s most touched business card.

I have also heard whispers about the Grammatik Polizei possibly deciding to mobilise against this dilapidated little blog. The grammar here is not wrong, it’s just avant garde.

And finally, a little chart to demonstrate the amount of time I’ve spent blogging versus the amount of time I’ve spent out and about, talking to people and generally living so far:

image

8 comments:

  1. Another great read, thanks, and really shows that 'old' is a very relative term! Don't feel you need to justify anything, just make sure you enjoy the experience, that's the gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hearing your observations because when you travel, it's the differences and similarities that "stand out". And I love your Dad's words ....... "Enjoy the experience, that's the gift." From reading your blogs, I've absolutely no doubt you are doing exactly that.
    I cannot believe, however, that you will only be making "a" visit to your stationery haven.
    Warmest wishes from The Wigneys
    PS What font are you using as the subheadings??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And the subheadings in the posts are Georgia, the titles of the posts - that look like permanent marker - I have no idea, but could find out.

      Delete
    2. No, I mean the one that looks like permanent marker. Thank you.

      Delete
    3. I have finally got to where I was when I changed it, and, after all that wait, the font is called: "Permanent Marker".

      Delete
  3. Keep the photos coming. Yes, I'll have to have a less on how to choose a "comment as" menu item. Doh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too many comments here so you don't need one from me!

    ReplyDelete